DHE to start common UG syllabus for autonomous colleges

Bhubaneswar: In a significant step towards reform at undergraduate level, the Department of Higher Education (DHE) on Tuesday decided to introduce uniform academic calendar and common syllabus in 35 autonomous colleges of Odisha. This was decided in a meeting of officials of DHE, Vice Chancellors of five universities and principals of autonomous colleges.

"In the meeting we discussed the modalities of a common syllabus as per UGC guideline," said Gagan Dhala, Secretary, DHE.

With the implementation of common academic calendar, examinations will be held on the same date in the colleges. 80% of questions in each paper would be common for the colleges whereas remaining 20% questions would be framed by the respective college authorities under the direct supervision of DHE, Dhala added.

To ensure standards of the colleges in the state, DHE is also planning to do a quality check of the educational institutions. "We also decided to form a central team to do a quality audit of autonomous colleges regularly," Dhala said.

The meeting also took note of the scarcity of lecturers in colleges and decided to fill up the vacant faculty posts by November 15.