Cyclone impact: 3 die in Ganjam by inhaling generator gas

Berhampur: At least three persons including two women died of asphyxiation today while four others were struggling for survival after they become ill after inhaling gas emitted from generators, police said.

The victims' family had used generators to light their houses and operate fan due to lack of electricity supply to Berhampur and Kodala towns, they said, adding that Ganjam district remained dark since 12 days due to severe damage to power infrastructure by the cyclone Phailin.

While keeping the generator running inside the room due to lack of power, they also closed the doors before sleeping.

At around 2 AM, after getting a call from the family when a relative of the deceased knocked the door and did not get any response, he broke the door and found four members in an unconscious state. He rushed the family members to hospital, police said.

The deceased were identified as Anita Sahu and her daughter Sayani of Godabaris Nagar and Kamal Kanta Ojha of Kodala town in Ganjam district, police said.

However, police said the condition of four others who have been severely ill in the incident is improving. They have been admitted at the MKCG Medical College Hospital here.