Cracker blast accused remanded to jail custody

Paradip: Four days after being arrested from Puducherry, the main accused of Kujang cracker explosion that killed four people in Jagatsinghpur district was produced in court near here today which sent him to judicial custody for 14 days.

The accused, identified as Subhash Rout, was brought to Kujanga by a police team and produced before First Class Judicial Magistrate, Alpana Swain who remanded him to judicial custody for 14 days after rejecting his bail application, police said. A police team from the district had gone to Puducherry and arrested Rout, who had been missing since the cracker explosion of November 16 at Kujang bazar, from Puducherry on the night of January 4, they said.

While Rout is accused of having played a major role in the explosion, seven others have been named in the case for their alleged involvement in the incident, they said. At least eight persons, all members of a musical party, were critically injured when crackers being carried in a mini truck burst near Kujanga in Jagatsinghpur district on November 16. Four of them identified as Dipuna Patra (12), Fakir Patra (32), Bijan Patra (38) and Kailash Jena (35) succumbed to the injuries while the rest were battling for their lives in the hospital.

The crackers were being taken during a procession organised by a workers` outfit from Sandhapur to Kujanga as part of their function when the mishap took place. The participants were bursting crackers and dancing to music when the blast took place in the mini truck, causing injuries to its occupants.