Congress veteran disapproves Party’s ‘One Man One Post’ concept

Bhubaneswar: Senior Congress leader Suresh Kumar Routray today expressed his anguish over the party’s ‘One Man One Post’ formula saying it would debar many important leaders including him from getting tickets for the upcoming elections. The reaction came after names of the new District Congress Committee presidents and working presidents were announced on Saturday.

Justifying his disagreement, Routray said, “I am not ready to follow the idea of ‘One Man One Post’ since it would debar Niranjan Patnaik, Chiranjib Biswal, Naba Kishore Das, Bhakta Das and Pradeep Majhi from getting tickets.” .

The Congress had earlier decided not to allow members holding positions as district presidents to contest the 2019 elections.  Reacting to the new rules, Routray said that he has been working hard since his loss in Jatni . If he is unable to contest the elections this year, all his efforts will be futile.

Routray said that he would not protest if the party denies him a ticket but contesting the 2019 assembly elections was his last wish. “Those working on field and knowing problems of the people inside out should be given tickets. If the party does not give me ticket, I will not contest the elections, said Routray adding that he had been offered party tickets by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and BJP in the past.

“But, I will remain a Congressman till my last breath,” said Routray while appealing the party leaders to reconsider their decision.  Names of 33 new District Congress Committee presidents and working presidents of Odisha prepared as per the ‘One Man One Post’ formula were announced on Saturday.

}