Close shave for patients during hospital fire in Cuttack

Cuttack: Four seriously ill patients undergoing treatment in the neurosurgery ICU of SCB Medical College and Hospital here had a narrow escape when a fire broke out as they were shifted immediately.

The patients had a close shave as they were immediately taken out of the ICU when the air-conditioner cable, passing close to the oxygen pipes, were in flames last evening, hospital sources said on Saturday.

"A major disaster was avoided as the hospital electrical maintenance staff doused the flame before it could create havoc," they said.

Hospital authorities blame the general electricity department (GED) for poor maintenance of the electrical fittings for the cause of the mishap while the GED employees squarely blame the hospital authorities for not extending adequate cooperation.

Neurosurgery head of the Hospital S S Mishra said: "All the six ACs fitted in the ICU are out of order and the maintenance staffs are not repairing them despite repeated complaints."