Class II boy critical after falling into hot MDM rice

Bolangir: Barely five days after a school girl died of burn injuries after falling into hot curry at a Sevasram school in Sambalpur, another similar incident took place on Thursday in the neighboring district here where a class II boy sustained critical burn injuries after he accidentally fell into boiling rice cooked for mid-day meal.
 
Six year old Rahul Chhatar of Sihini School near Titilagarh met with the accident when he was playing with his friends near the food preparation place on the school premises. He was admitted at Titilagarh sub-divisional hospital with 40 percent burns below his belly and later shifted to Bolangir district 
headquarters hospital as his condition worsened. However, his condition is now stable and his response to the treatment is good, attending physician said.
 
The villagers held school teacher in-charge of MDM responsible for the unfortunate incident and demanded action against the erring staff. When contacted, school headmaster, who was absent on the fateful day, pleaded ignorance about the incident.
 
Notably, the school does not have a proper kitchen and midday meal is prepared under a make-shift shed. Recently, school and mass education minister Rabi Narayan Nanda had told the State Assembly during the monsoon session that over 10,930 schools didn't have kitchen sheds to cook MDM.
 
Earlier on August 24, Class III student Banita Kanhar of a tribal residential school at Girischandrapur under Kisinda police station died after she had fallen into a hot curry cauldron cooked for MDM. A school teacher in-charge of MDM was suspended in the case for delinquency.