One heatstroke death confirmed out of 13 reported in Odisha

Bhubaneswar: Odisha Government on Tuesday announced the death of one person in Bargarh due to sunstroke as the first heat wave casualty of 2017 in the State.

Deputy Special Relief Commissioner Prabhat Mohapatra said that 13 sunstroke death allegations have been received from nine districts while only one has been confirmed as sunstroke death so far.

“A joint inquiry has been completed on all the remaining 11 death allegations and post mortem reports are awaited for confirmation,” said  Mohapatra.

It is noteworthy that  normal life across the State has been adversely affected due to the intense heat wave conditions prevailing for the last one week with mercury touching 40 degrees Celsius today.

Apart from scorching heat, humidity conditions have compounded the miseries of people across the state.

Mohapatra further informed that directions have been issued to all Government hospitals in Odisha to open heat stroke wards.The administrative officials at the hospitals have been instructed to dedicate special manpower and facilities including coolers, air conditioners, adequate drinking water and other requisites to provide immediate treatment to heat stroke cases.

}