Kunduli rape survivor’s family lodges complaint against SCB authorities

Cuttack: Apprehending threat to the life of Kunduli gang rape survivor, her family members today lodged a complaint at Manglabag police station and demanded her immediate discharge from SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.

According to sources, after the survivor’s condition became stable and her clinical reports were found to be normal, the doctors treating her said she is no longer required to stay in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Medicine Department.

However, the doctors stated that her mental condition is not stable and she appears depressed and confused. Therefore they said she has been advised to be kept in the ward for treatment and would be looked after by a psychiatrist.

Unhappy over this, the family members staged a dharna inside the hospital campus on Friday night demanding her discharge from the hospital and transfer to some other hospital for treatment.

Her family members today lodged a complaint against the SCB authorities at Manglabag police station. Mother of the survivor claimed that even if the mental condition of her daughter is stable the hospital authorities are shifting her to the mental ward intentionally.

“My daughter asked me to take her immediately from the hospital citing life threat. I will hang myself in the hospital if they do not discharge her,” said the girl’s mother.

Similar allegation was also brought by former MP and Congress leader Pradeep Majhi, who accompanied the family to the police station. Dharna in front of the hospital will continue till the girl is discharged, he said.

“The girl has been held captive here since six days by Koraput police, Cuttack police, hospital authorities and DPRO. Therefore, we have lodged a complaint at the police station demanding immediate discharge of the girl otherwise Congress will take stringent action,” said Majhi.

On November 18, the minor girl in an attempt to commit suicide allegedly consumed excessive iron tablets and started vomiting continuously at the Tribal Welfare (TRW) School in Kotapad where she was being looked after by the District Child Welfare Committee (CWC). She was kept at the residential school after the alleged gang rape.

Immediately she was admitted to Saheed Laxman Nayak Medical College in Koraput. As her health condition did not improve, she was shifted to SCB the same night.