Female elephant electrocuted

Rourkela: A female elephant was found dead at Garada village under Bisra forest here in Sundergarh district today.

Locals said a herd of elephants strayed into the village area on Tuesday night in search of food and ruined some standing crops. The female jumbo was eating leafs of Mangoo tree during which it came in contact with a live wire. The pachyderm died on the spot.

The villagers informed the forest officials following which the range staff reached the spot and seized the body. The energy department officials also rushed to the spot and began investigation that under what circumstances the elephant touched the live wire.

Electrocution deaths occur due to weak power infrastructure in the area. In forest-fringe areas, live electric wires remain sagging at many places. When elephants pass through those areas, they come in contact with the wires, locals alleged.

}