Cops foil Sahara boss’ Cuttack event fearing trouble

Cuttack/Bhubaneswar: Sahara India chairman Subrata Roy’s scheduled meeting with agents and company officials in Cuttack as a part of his country-wide “Abhaar Yatra” was cancelled today after commissionerate police evacuated the meeting venue apprehending a law and order situation.

Cuttack police clamped prohibitory orders under section 144 of CrPC at the decked up Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor stadium, the meeting venue of the parabanking giant.

“We had intelligence inputs that some chit fund victims were preparing to protest Roy’s programme. There was a possibility of a law and order situation. In view of it, Cuttack DCP Sanjeev Arora imposed section 144 in the area and asked agents and officials, who have come from various parts of the State, to vacate the place. Restriction was also imposed on Roy’s entry into Cuttack”, police commissioner YB Khurania said.

“We have verified his parole terms and condition which allow him to move anywhere in the country. But there is no mention whether he can hold any meeting,” he added.

Roy, who stayed in a star hotel in Bhubaneswar amid beefed up security, however, expressed concern over the cancellation of his programme. “It is unfortunate that I could not meet around 3,000 Sahara India Parivar members. Police was tipped off that some organisations were preparing to foil the event. Accordingly, they clamped section 144 even though we were granted permission by the concerned authorities to hold the conference. Anyway, as a responsible citizens, we should cooperate with the police,” Roy said in a media statement.

Roy, who is currently out on parole for four weeks, was scheduled to meet about 6,000 agents of his company at the Indoor Stadium in Cuttack to express his gratitude for standing by him during his difficult times.

A manager of the company had booked the stadium for the “mass meeting.” Three days later, the authorities had granted permission for the event, sources said.

As part of the programme, about 4,000 agents of the company had gathered at the stadium at 11 am. The company had organised lunch for the agents from 11 am to 1 pm. From 2 pm, Roy was scheduled to address the agents till 6 pm.

Police reached the stadium after the launch time was over at around 1 pm and asked the agents to leave the place. Around 2,000 agents were waiting outside. Three platoons of police were deployed there to avoid any untoward incident.