Attack on Gangwar: No coercive action against Bargarh MLA for now, says HC
Cuttack: In a temporary relief to BJD MLA from Bargarh Debesh Acharya, the Orissa High Court today ordered the State Government not to take any coercive action against the legislator till further orders for his alleged involvement in the attack on Union minister Santosh Gangwar’s convoy on June 24.
The next hearing in the case will be held after four weeks, the court said.
Acharya, the nephew of BJD vice president and Rajya Sabha MP Prasanna Acharya, had moved the court seeking quashing of the FIR against him lodged by Bargarh police. He had approached the court to entertain his plea under section 482 of CrPC, sources said.
Along with Debesh, his brother Sambit Acharya, Bargarh municipality Chairman Prashant Behera, Deputy Chairman of Zilla Parishad Soubhagya Ranjan Nayak, Zilla Parishad member Hari Shankar Behera and some other BJD workers had also approached the court seeking anticipatory bail.
Stones were pelted at the cavalcade of Union Ministers Santosh Gangwar and Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti and former Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda allegedly by a group of ruling BJD workers, led by Acharya, when they were on their way to attend a meeting in Bargarh to mark two years of NDA government.
The protesting BJD supporters had also showed black flags and demonstrated in front of Gangwar’s vehicle.
At least three vehicles, including one carrying Gangwar, were damaged in the incident.
While 16 men had been arrested in connection with the incident, the District and Sessions Court of Bargarh had granted them bail on July 7.
Even though BJD has been denying its involvement in the incident, its MLA Debesh Acharya was seen celebrating with the attackers in a rally held after the attack.
Expressing deep concern over the incident, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had called up Governor S C Jamir and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and asked them to ensure the safety and security of central leaders visiting the state.