2 dead, 2 critical after consuming poisonous country cakes in Umerkote
Nabarangpur: The festival of Raksha Bandhan turned a tragedy for a family after two, including a woman, died while two children of the same family were taken seriously ill after consuming poisonous country cakes here in the district on Monday.
The incident occurred in Raighar Haldi village when the family complained of acute stomach pain after consuming the country cakes brought by their relative on the occasion of Rakhi.
Sources said the woman died in her house while other three were rushed to Umerkote Medical in a critical condition.
Later, her brother-in-law also succumbed to poisoning while undergoing treatment at the hospital. The two children, a boy and a girl, are fighting for their lives, sources added.
Police reached the spot and has started investigating the incident.