61 taken ill after inhaling toxic gas

Balasore: At least 61 people were taken ill after inhaling toxic gas leaked from a pesticide plant at Maitapur near Simulia in Balasore district, the police said. The incident occurred last night when some solid chemical substances were being boiled to prepare ingredients for manufacturing pesticides.

The gas generated in the process accidentally leaked from a pipe. After inhaling the gas about 61 persons complained of chest pain, nausea and vomiting. The victims were admitted to Maitapur, Ranita and Bhadrak hospitals.

Sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Balasore Sadar, Kailash Chandra Parida said, "The affected people who came in contact with the toxic gas last night, were immediately provided medical help and the situation now is normal." Fire brigade from Bhadrak were pressed into service after the incident was reported.