28 students in Balasore fall ill after consuming meal at school
Bhubaneswar: Close on the heels of 23 children in Bihar died after consuming contaminated midday meals, around 28 students allegedly fell sick after eating food served at a school of Balasore district under the midday meal scheme. Sources said four have been shifted to SCB Medical College, Cuttack as their condition deteriorated.
Inmates of Bapuji Seva Sadan at Chandipur in Balasore district complained of stomach ache and vomiting after eating the meal at the Mitrapur Nodal School.
As only the inmates of the Seva Sadan were taken ill, a team of doctors from Balsore district hospital is testing the drinking water of the Sadan as well as the food samples from the school, said Anup Kuamr Ghosh, CDMO, Balasore.
Notably, 23 children died in Chhapra in Bihar after consuming midday meal, sparking violent protests amid suspicions by the state government that it was poisoned.
In a related incident, about 50 students of a government middle school in Madhubani district in Bihar fell ill after eating food under the midday meal scheme.