Advertisment

‘Sexual harassment’ of Miss Universe Indonesia contestants: Police complaint lodged

The incidents reportedly took place during the beauty contest held in Jakarta from July 29 to August 3.

author-image
Poonam Singh
Updated On
Miss Universe

Miss Universe

In a disturbing turn of events, six participants of the Miss Universe Indonesia pageant have come forward accusing the organisers of sexual harassment. 

Advertisment

The contestants were allegedly subjected to invasive "body checks," including; and, were also asked to undress to their underwear and pose with open legs. 

The incidents reportedly took place during the beauty contest held in Jakarta from July 29 to August 3.

Advertisment

The contestants' lawyer, Mellisa Anggraeni, revealed that the organisers also took topless photographs of the participants and that six of them have formally lodged complaints with the police. 

The seriousness of the situation prompted a response from the Miss Universe Organization, which affirmed its commitment to addressing such allegations and maintaining a safe environment for women.

"Miss Universe takes allegations of sexual abuse and impropriety extremely seriously. Providing a safe place for women is the Miss Universe Organization's utmost priority," it said in a statement.

One contestant shared her distressing experience during a press conference, describing the discomfort and confusion she felt while being subjected to inappropriate requests. 

"I felt like I was being peeked on, I was very confused and uncomfortable," said the unidentified contestant.

Jakarta police spokesperson Trunoyudo Wisnu Andiko confirmed that the complaints were filed on Monday and that an investigation is underway.

It's noteworthy that the Miss Universe Organization, which was previously co-owned by former US president Donald Trump, is now under the ownership of Thai media magnate and transgender rights advocate Jakapong “Anne” Jakrajutatip since 2022.

Advertisment
Advertisment