Highlights of Railway budget
* New Duronto trains to be introduced on Sealdah-Puri route
* Integrated suburban network to be set up in Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad and other cities; suburban system of Hyderabad to be strengthened
* Concession for physically handicapped and gallantry award winners for travel in Rajdhani and Shatabdi expresses
* 50% concession for mediapersons with families to be increased from once to twice a year
* Mumbai suburban system`s EMU coaches to be increased from nine to 12
* Nine additional services for Chennai suburban service
* 47 additional services on Mumbai suburban section, says Banerjee
* Physically challenged people can enjoy concession in Rajdhani, Shatabdi trains.
* Freight traffic estimated at 993 mn tonnes in 2011-12. Railways proposes scholarship schemes for low income groups. 1,320 MW thermal plant in Agra and 1,300 MW plant in AP.
* Diesel locomotive at Manipur New industrial park at Bongaigaon & Nandigram.
* Two more wagon units in JV mode in Kerala Imphal to be connected with rail network To set up new coach factory in Kolar.
* Eligibility age for senior citizen concessions reduced to 58 from 60 for travel by rail, says Banerjee.
* Medical facilities to be provided to parents of railway staff. Special AC class with better facilities to be introduced. Will introduce trolleys at railway stations.
* Propose development of integrated suburban railway network in big metros like Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, says Mamata Banerjee.
* Kolkata Metro to expand its network. Uproar in Lok Sabha over Railway Minister`s speech with members protesting that she was favouring her state West Bengal which will go to polls in a couple of months.
* Propose development of integrated suburban railway network in big metros. Will introduce trolleys at railway stations.
* Upgraded class of air conditioned travel to be introduced shortly.
* 1,500 trains cancelled, 3,500 re-scheduled last year due to protests, other reasons.
* Anti-collision device, successful in North West Frontier Railway, to be extended to three more zonal railways.
* 16,000 ex-servicemen to be inducted by March in the Railways for the first time.
* Restructuring of all cadres being undertaken in the Railways.
* `Go India` smart card ticket project to be launched this year.
* Railways always been a soft target but law and order a state subject. If railways are blocked in one region, this has a snowballing effect in other parts of the country.
* Will add 180 km of rail lines in 2011-12.
* All-India security helpline set up.
* To adopt modern technology through centres of academic excellence.
* Work started on two dedicated frieght corridors.
* Work on upgrading 442 stations to be completed by March 31.
* First coach from Rae Bareli factory in next three months.
* Work on wagon factory in Orissa to begin after land is acquired.
* Railways to set up factory in Jammu and Kashmir.
* To set up Metro coach factory at Singur in West Bengal.
* Manipur to be soon connected to railway network.
* Centre for excellence in software to be set up at Darjeeling.
* Combines strong economic focus along with inclusion.
* Develop business-oriented policies to aid industry.
* Happy to announce 85 PPP proposals received; set up single-window system to take these forward.
* First coach from the new rail factory at Rae Bareli to roll out in next three months
* To meet the demand for coaches, rail based industries to be set up under Vision 2020: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee.
* Growth of railways linked to growth of the nation: Mamata
* This will be a common man’s budget, says Mamata