Curfew in force, toll in Muzaffarnagar violence climbs to 28
Muzaffarnagar/Lucknow: Curfew today remained in force in riot-hit areas of Muzaffarnagar where the death toll climbed to 28 even as 200 persons were arrested and cases registered against 1000 persons, including four BJP MLAs and a former Congress MP.
Under fire over the violence, the Uttar Pradesh government transferred Saharanpur DIG DD Mishra and SHO, Phugana, Omveer. Violence-hit Muzaffarnagar falls in Saharanpur range.
"The death toll in the violence has reached 28 so far.
SHO, Phugana, Omveer has been removed from the post as most of the violence was witnessed in the area…We are also cancelling arms licenses in Phugana, Shahpur, Dhaurakalan as they were misused during the violence", ADG, Law and Order, Arun Kumar told reporters in Muzaffarnagar.
He said FIRs have been registered against BJP legislative party leader Hukum Singh, MLAs Suresh Rana, Bhartendu, Sangeet Som and former Congress MP Harendra Malik for violating prohibitory orders.
Cases have been registered against a total of 1000 persons including some people who are yet to be identified, he said.
Meanwhile, UP Governor BL Joshi has sent his report on the Muzaffarnagar violence to the Centre, official sources said in Lucknow.The report was sent yesterday.
In the report, the Governor has cited the sequence of events beginning August 27, when three persons were killed in Kawal town of Muzaffarnagar over an incident of eveteasing.
Sources said the Governor has also stated other details regarding the administrative lapses as well as the situation prevailing in the town.
Kumar said no violence was reported in the district after midnight last night. Secretary Home, Kamal Saxena said that 45 injured persons are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarnagar.
He said the situation in Muzaffarnagar was under control, adequate force has been despatched and senior officers were camping there. Army had yesterday staged a flag march in the troubled district and surrounding areas.