Collector abduction: No outcome despite three rounds of talks
Raipur: Little headway has been made in the third round of talks between the mediators of Chhattisgarh government and the Maoists on the release of abducted Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon, who spent his ninth day in captivity on Sunday.
“The Maoist mediators briefed us about their talks with the ultras and now the state government will be informed about these details,” former Madhya Pradesh Chief Secretary Nirmala Buch, who is one of the state government`s interlocutors, told reporters here.
Meanwhile, one the Maoists` mediators G Hargopal said they have apprised the state interlocutors about their talks with the Naxals. “The next round of talks with the state government may be held tomorrow,” he said.
B D Sharma, a former IAS officer, and Hyderabad-based academician Professor Hargopal — who held two rounds of talks on behalf of the Maoists — returned to Chintanlar on Sunday after visiting Tadmetla forests, where they had gone on Saturday to update the ultras about the deliberations with the government.
In exchange for the release of the 32-year-old 2006-batch IAS officer, Maoists have demanded release of 17 of their jailed leaders, halt to the anti-Maoist offensive `Operation Green Hunt` and sending security forces in Bastar to barracks.
A CPI leader had last week delivered medicines for the officer, who is asthmatic.