We Report, You Decide

Chitrabon Hazarika released from jail

Guwahati: ULFA `Finance Secretary` Chitrabon Hazarika, the last jailed member of the insurgent outfit`s central committee, was on Wednesday released from the Guwahati Central Jail.

Talking to reporters outside the jail, Hazarika said, "We want a peaceful solution through negotiations with the government and in this connection will have discussions with the central government-appointed interlocutor P C Haldar."

He said he will take special care to carry forward the peace process for a negotiated settlement of the 30-year-long vexed problem in the interest of the people of the state.

Asked if his outfit`s elusive `commander-in-chief` Paresh Baruah would particiapate in the peace talks, the senior ULFA leader said Baruah was in jail, but he was confident that the chief was interested in the peace process.

Referring to the issue of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam, Hazarika, who until his arrest on November 30, 2009 was hiding in the neighbouring country, said illegal foreigners from that country could not stay here and special measures would have to be taken to prevent their infiltration.

Hazarika had already got bail on several TADA cases and the latest one was granted to him by a Goalpara Court yesterday.

He was captured by Bangladesh security forces along with ULFA Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa and others from Dhaka on November 30, 2009 and later handed over to India.

Hazarika along with his supporters and family members, left for his native place at Jakhalabandha in Nagaon district where his wife and ULFA Cultural Secretary Pranati Deka, who was recently released from jail, is staying.

In the interest of the peace process, the government did not object to the bail petitions of ULFA Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa, Vice-Chairman Pradip Hazarika, deputy C-in-C Raju Baruah, Foreign Secretary Sashadhar Choudhury, Finance Secretary Chitrabon Hazarika, Cultural Secretary Pranati Deka, Publicity Secretary Mithinga Daimary, ideologue Bhimkanta Bhuragohain and the outfit`s east zone in-charge Ramu Mech.

All the top leaders of the ULFA`s political wing are now out on bail. Its General Secretary Anup Chetia is currently lodged in a Bangladesh jail.

Two other central committee members – Ashanta Baghphukan and Robin Neog – have been declared missing since 2003 during `Operation All Clear` in Bhutan against ULFA camps.

Another commander of the armed wing Jibon Moran is still absconding.


You might also like

Comments are closed.

End Google Tag Manager (noscript)