Antony says he has full faith in Army chief

New Delhi: Amid speculation that Gen V K Singh may resign after losing his battle on the age issue, Defence Minister A K Antony today said he has "full faith" in Army chief and asked his colleagues to "bury" the "unfortunate controversy".

The Minister expressed happiness over the end of the controversy on the issue after the developments in the Supreme Court where Gen Singh withdrew his petition last week.

"The government has confidence in the present chief and that was conveyed in the Supreme Court also. Everything is clear and we have confidence in him," Antony told reporters when asked if Gen Singh has offered to resign after the apex court verdict.

After the Army chief withdrew his petition, there has been intense media speculation that he could quit. His term gets over on May 31 and a number of names have been doing rounds as to who would succeed him.

"I am very happy that this very unfortunate controversy is over after the judgment of the Supreme Court. In the interest of national security, please forget and bury this unfortunate controversy. Whatever has happened has happened and is over now… I request my colleagues to close this chapter and let us all work together to strengthen national security. For us, national interest is supreme," Antony said.

The Defence Minister made the remarks just ahead of Gen Singh`s scheduled departure for Britain on an official visit.

The Supreme Court had said that the government`s decision on Singh`s date of birth will apply to his service matters, forcing him to withdraw his petition. The apex court had, however, clarified that the judgement did not reflect on the competence and capability of the army chief.

}