UGC issues circular to varsities on ‘Surgical Strike Day’
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued circular to vice chancellors of all the universities and provided the list of activities which maybe undertaken on September 29 following Government of India’s decision to celebrate it as ‘Surgical Strike Day’.
However, sources in the HRD Ministry clarified that the circular is only advisory in nature, and not mandatory or imposed.
In the circular, UGC mentioned a few activities / programs which may be undertaken to celebrate this occasion in a befitting manner.
- All HEIs with NCC units shall organise a special parade on the day after which the NCC Commander shall address them on the modalities of protection of the borders.
- The universities/colleges may organise a meeting, calling ex-service men who will sentisize the students about the sacrifices made by the armed forces in protecting the borders.
- A multimedia exhibition would be organised around India Gate on September 29. Similar exhibitions may be organised at all the State Capitals/UTs and important towns and cantonments all over India.
- The exhibition will be a public event and HEIs may encourage its faculty and students to visit these exhibitions.
- The students shall pledge their support for the armed forces by writing letters and cards, which may be produced in both physical and digital format. These letters and cards will be shared with PRO, Defence and PIB for publicity across venous media including Social Media.
- The physical letters so received can be given to the nearest Cantonment or can be presented to the Army officials visiting various colleges for short meeting with students. It will also provide Photo-Ops for the students.