2G scam: Ruias, Khaitans skip court yet again
"Exemption applications of four accused (Ruias and Khaitans) are allowed for today only," Special CBI Judge O P Saini said after taking note of submission of Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit that the agency was not opposing their plea.
Senior advocates Mukul Rohatgi and Parag Tripathi, appearing for Ruias and Khaitans respectively, moved separate applications for taking exemption from personal appearance for their clients on grounds including that they were residents of UAE and they have not been properly served with the summons.
Khaitans have also cited their "poor health" condition as additional ground in support of their exemption pleas.
"The case against us is not a case under the Prevention of Corruption Act and, moreover, we have challenged the administrative order of the Delhi High Court by which this court was constituted to hear the 2G case," Rohatgi said.
The apex court would hear the matter on March 1 and the outcome would decide the forum and the course of trial against us, he added.
"If we win, then this case against us would be tried by a magistrate and if we lose then this matter will proceed before this court," he said and sought a date of hearing during last week of March.
Vikas Saraf, Essar Group Director (Strategy and Planning), however, appeared and moved his bail application before the court today which asked the CBI to file a reply and posted it for hearing on March 17.