26/11 case:Prosecutors submit in court evidence given by India

Islamabad: Pakistani prosecutors on Saturday submitted documentary evidence provided by India, including confessional statement of Ajmal Kasab, in the anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of LeT`s Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others charged with involvement in Mumbai attacks, as a new judge began hearing the case.

Prosecutors from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) presented three files containing the autopsy reports of those killed in the attacks, medico-legal reports of the injured and lone surviving Mumbai attacker Kasab`s confessional statement in English, Hindi and Marathi, sources told PTI.

The evidence was presented to the court by the FIA following an application from the defence lawyers.

Copies of all the evidence will be provided to the accused and the defence lawyers, the sources said.

Today`s in-camera proceedings at the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi were conducted by Shahid Rafique, who was appointed the new judge for hearing the Mumbai attacks case. He is the fifth judge to hear the case since proceedings began in early 2009.

After the evidence was presented in court by the prosecutors, Judge Rafique adjourned the case till July 23.

Lakhvi`s counsel Khwaja Sultan told PTI after the hearing that the defence lawyers had requested the court to provide the autopsy and medico-legal reports of those killed and injured in the Mumbai attacks after the prosecution presented a new list of witnesses, including Indian doctors and policemen.

The seven suspects, including LeT members, have been accused of planning, facilitating and financing the November 2008 attacks in India`s financial hub that killed 166 people.

Their trial has been marred by repeated delays and only one out of over 160 prosecution witnesses has testified so far.

You might also like