Fire extinguishers were not used: Panel on Sishu Bhavan fire


Bhubaneswar: The Technical committee formed to investigate into the fire incident at Sishu Bhawan in Cuttack has stumbled upon the fact that fire extinguishers in the ward were not used to douse fire during the incident.

“It is unfortunate that the fire extinguishers were not used by the employees of the ward during the unfortunate incident. Had these been used, there was no need to even call the fire brigade,” a fire officer in the committee told media persons after a meeting.

“The units (fire extinguishers) are handy and can be used easily by anybody,” he added.

Yesterday the new born ward of Sishu Bhawan caught fire causing heavy damage to the 24-bed ward.

Expensive machines of Rs 11 lakh present in the ward as well as the ceiling of the room were gutted in the fire. However, the hospital staff promptly shifted 22 patients of the ward to a safer place ensuring no loss of life.

You might also like