Fire at new born ward of Sishu Bhawan; Collector orders probe

76

Cuttack: The new born ward of Sishu Bhawan on Sunday caught fire causing heavy damage to the 24-bed ward.

Expensive machines of Rs 11 lakh present in the ward as well as the ceiling of the room were gutted in the fire. However, the hospital staff promptly shifted 22 patients of the ward to a safer place ensuring no loss of life.

While the exact cause of the fire was not immediately known, sources in the hospital said holder of a warmer light over bed no-59 suddenly sparked from which the fire later spread to the other areas of the unit.

A new born baby sustained injuries in stomach and head following the fire.

Fire Brigade personnel rushed to the spot and launched a rescue operation.

Meanwhile, Cuttack district collector Nirmal Chandra Mishra has directed the District Technical Committee for a probe into the and submit report within seven days.

Health minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak along with Cuttack Collector visited Sishu Bhawan and took stock of the situation.

Talking to mediapersons, Nayak said, “If any lapses will be found during the investigation, action will be taken against the persons responsible.”

In the ward, three patients were on ventilators. They were shifted to a ward having the necessary facilities whereas other patients were taken to another ward.

Cuttack MLA Debasish Samntray, Congress leader Mohammed Moquim also visited the Sishu Bhawan and inquired about the patients.

You might also like

Comments

Loading...