Jagatsinghpur/Paradip: The weeklong impasse over cargo handling in Paradip Port came to an end on Tuesday.
As per the decision taken at a meeting presided over by the Jagatsinghpur district collector Bijay Ketan Upadhyay at the collectorate, cargo handling in the Port would begin from Wednesday morning.
“Work would begin as usual at 6 AM tomorrow. We would supply raw materials required by the plants. The Dumper Owners’ Association has agreed to provide dumpers for cargo loading and unloading”, Odisha head, Seaways Shipping and Logistics Private Limited (SSPL), Debendra Nayak, told reporters after the meeting.
He said members of All India Stevedores Federation were of the opinion that the ongoing strike should be called off but the discussion should continue to arrive at a permanent solution.
“Besides, the stevedores associations also agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the Port,” he added.
Nayak also informed that the Port authorities, who had earlier issued an office order to cancel the license of all stevedoring companies, have agreed to withdraw the order.
“We have categorically asked the Dumper Owners’ Association whether it would provide required number of dumpers for cargo handling. If the Association fails to deliver, any stevedoring agency, as per the circular order of the port dated May 15, 2015, can hire dumpers from outside for cargo handling”, Nayak said.
Paradip Stevedores’ Association president Mahimananda Mishra said SSPL, which was assigned the cargo handling work by the Jindal Power and Steel Ltd (JSPL), would sublet the work to a panel of stevedores on rotation basis while 10/12 stakeholders presently working in the Port would cooperate in the work so that the system which was earlier prevalent, would continue.