Cuttack: On the first day of Operation Muskan-III, as many as six children were rescued from the capital city here today.
A joint team of the State Crime Branch and Commissionerate Police rescued the six children, who were working as child labourers at Khandagiri Square. They were later sent to an open shelter home at Jatni.
The drive that kicked off today to rescue missing children will end in August. It may be mentioned here that eight special teams have been formed to trace, rescue and rehabilitate missing children under the operation which would continue for a period of one month.
Earlier on Friday, a high level meeting was held at the Crime Branch headquarters in Cuttack, where it was decided to carry out the first phase of the Operation Muskan within Odisha. The second phase of the special programme will extensively focus on rescuing and tracing missing children from Odisha in other parts of the country. The second phase will be launched from July 31.
“The campaign shall be personally monitored by Dist SsP/DCsP and one senior officer in the district shall be the Nodal Officer,” said special director general of police (crime branch) BK Sharma.
Sharma further said that assistance from various government departments like Women and Child Development & Labour and active involvement of district magistrate would also be sought.
Odisha police had traced and rescued nearly 1,620 missing children within State and 193 children were either reunited with respective families or rehabilitated in the Operation Muskan 2 last year.