Puri: Around 400 Habisyalis (widows who observe Kartik Brata in Puri) had a narrow escape when a fire broke out in the Ashram they were staying in here late on Friday night.
Sources said when the Habisyalis were taking rest at the Bagala Dharmasala Ashram here at around 11 pm, a tent cloth at the centre caught fire following short-circuit in a fan capacitor at the entrance gate.
Soon after seeing this, two fire brigade staffs present there managed to douse the flame. Though inspection was
made earlier in the evening, fire broke out at the Ashram. Prompt action by the fire fighters saved the lives of the Habisyalis.
In view of the Sum Hospital fire mishap, special fire fighting squads had made an inspection at various places here in the day. The incident has raised question on the efficiency of the district administration.
Later, district Collector Arvind Agrawral went to the spot and took stock of the situation.