Cuttack: The carcass of a female elephant calf was recovered from Paikerapur village under Khuntuni forest range in Athagarh of Cuttack on Tuesday morning.
Though the exact reason behind the death is still unclear, it is suspected that the elephant calf died of electrocution as electric cables were found near the spot.
On getting information, senior officials of the forest department reached the spot and have started an investigation into the incident.
As per sources, the elephant carcass was found at the backyard of a villager’s house. Meanwhile, the forest officials have sent the body of the elephant for autopsy.