Another garment showroom in Cuttack catches fire

Cuttack: Properties worth lakhs of rupees were damaged after a fire broke out at a garment showroom in Cuttack today. It is for the second time within a month that a fire mishap at such a commercial establishment has been reported from the city.

As per reports, the fire broke out at around 12.30 PM today, at Queen’s Collection in Cuttack’s Chaudhury Bazaar allegedly due to a short circuit in the ground floor of the showroom.

Fire brigade personnel had to break the glass panels of the showroom to douse the flames as the building was filled with smoke. The blaze was brought under control before it could spread to nearby shops.

“I was sitting in the office when the power went out suddenly. I came out to check and saw that smoke was coming out of the building. The electric panel board in the ground floor had caught fire. The amount of damage cannot be estimated now but there were garments worth Rs 1.5 crore,” said a staff of the showroom.

Earlier on February 4, another garment showroom located in the busy Palamandap locality in Cuttack had caught fire. The three storey garment showroom was completely gutted in fire while three shops located in a nearby building were also reduced to ashes.