Ravenshaw VC resigns over student unrest

Political interference prime reason behind the resignation

382

Cuttack: Perturbed over the growing political interference in the affairs of Ravenshaw University, vice chancellor Prakash Sarangi resigned today sparking a fresh row at the premier educational institution of the State

Sarangi tendered his letter of resignation to Governor and chancellor SC Jamir citing that he failed to manage the varsity properly during his two years and 10 months tenure.

“Perhaps, I failed to manage the university properly. Some students are mostly influenced by political parties and they are telling language of politics rather than education. Political parties are interfering in the varsity affairs. I can’t make a good rapport with such leaders”, the VC said.

“I had expected to do much for the Raveshaw, but thought that I can’t do much more within the remaining period”, Sarangi added.

He added that the future of the oldest educational institution of the State would be pushed into darkness until the interference of political parties are removed.

Expressing concern over rising incidents of violence on Ravenshaw campus, Sarangi rued the students, who are influenced by the political leaders, are creating ruckus in the university at regular interval.

Varsity authorities on Saturday had suspended six students for indulging in acts of violence, which had taken place in November last year, on the campus. Their hostel seats were also cancelled and they were even barred from entering the campus.

Protesting against the order of suspension, some students today stormed into the office of the vice-chancellor and demanded to revoke the suspension order.

The VC had earlier said that at least 99% of the students come to Ravenshaw to study and build a bright career. But remaining 1% students, who get political affiliation, create noise on the campus.

You might also like

Comments

Loading...